About our Town
Walls is located in Northwest Desoto County near the Mississippi River- a region referred to as “ The Delta” known for it’s rich dark soil. Walls was originally named Alpika, an old Chickasaw Indian word. The name was changed to Walls in 1906.
Walls was named after Captain June Walls who served in the War Between the States. Captain Walls was an early settler and merchant of the region I in the 1880’s. The trail of Hernando Desoto leads through Desoto County to Walls. Today Walls is a community rich in agriculture. Cotton, soybeans, rice and corn can all be seen growing around Walls. The railroad played a big part in the growth of the area in the early to mid 1900’s.
The mechanical revolution of the 1950’s and 1960’s changed Walls. With the advent of tractors and modern farming equipment the face of the community was forever changed.
One of the biggest names in Blues music, Memphis Minnie, called Walls “home”. She came from Algiers, Louisiana to play the Memphis Beal street circuit in 1904. Minnie joined up with future husband and musician Joe “Kansas Joe” McCoy and the popular duo signed with Columbia records. Their biggest hit was “Bumble Bee”. One of their most recognized songs is ”When the Levee Breaks”. Memphis Minnie died August 6, 1973 and was laid to rest in New Hope Cemetery in Walls. Her headstone was made possible by contributions from Bonnie Rait and John Fogerty.
Another famous resident of Walls is Sacred Heart League Inc. In 1947 the Catholic Church opened Sacred Heart School in Walls. 8 years later Father Gregory Berg created Sacred Heart Auto League. The Leagues mission was to encourage people across the nation to drive “prayerfully” and “carefully” to reduce road fatalities. The Auto League’s symbol was a plastic statue of Jesus that became nationally known as “Dashboard Jesus”.
The Town of Walls, which has been a community since the early 1900’s, is inexorably connected to the tiny Village of Memphis which was incorporated in the early 1970’s and located just south of Walls community. In 2003 the Village of Memphis annexed a large portion of Walls area, thereby giving the Town of Walls the official status of a municipality. The town currently has a population of just over 1200.
Walls is served by the Desoto County school system and is home to four schools providing our citizens with a quality education. We are proud to be a part of the Delta Bluffs Scenic Byway as well as home to the first section of the Johnson Creek Greenway.